Still wouldn’t want to take this on solo.
Yesterday my engine builder friend came by but this time to help with the headliner. First we measured, cut and glued insulation in and then prepped the headliner for the bows. We did have the headliner out of the Other Polara to use as a guide to locate the cuts in the bow pockets, these pockets leave the last several inches of the headliner free.
At first we laid the headliner on the sidewalk to soften it up but that was not having much effect so we tried the street but it wasn't much better, so my friend looked at the roof and said that should work, at first I thought he was joking, nope ladder out and up we went. While we were waiting for it to soften up we looked around and used the time to do a little roof repair.
The installation was pretty straight forward but took time to get to look perfect. The bows were all popped into place and the rear retainers hooked on, then the front was pulled and pressed on to the teeth, we found that a 1/4" nut driver worked best to press the vinyl over the barb. Next was to get the sides pulled into place, back and forth till we were happy using binder clips to hold it in temporarily. The rear was done next leaving the c-pillar area for last. The c-pillar area was a little more difficult as the reproduction headliner didn't have the tie-down tail that the originals did. We had a little bit of latitude in this area as the sail panels would be covering it up, we did fold the vinyl over in a couple places and put screws in to hold it tight.
Once we were happy with the fitment we removed the clamps from sections of the edge and started gluing the edges down and putting the clamps back on as we went. Even before we glued the edges down we had put the visor mounts and mirror in to help hold those areas in and something else to work off of the get wrinkles out.
Still not sure I'd want to take this on solo but it was nice not pay someone to do it. A big thanks to my engine builder/headliner guy/friend for helping with this project.