Knowing what I know now, what was I thinking. Not only was the engine not going to run there were for too many other issues with the car (like the transmission that parked the car) that would need to be taken care of to make it drivable.
Where to Start
The initial plan was to get it running so bodywork could be done in class 30 miles away. Before anything is done I wanted to swap out a hood hinge that was tweaked in a prior incident, with a weld nut spinning that was put on hold till the fender comes off.
Removed the air cleaner (full of rodent gunk) good thing there was an air filter installed. With the air cleaner out of the way I pulled the distributor cap and plug wires mostly because I needed clearance to pull the fuel line with the carburetor.
First up was to pull the carburetor so it could be cleaned up. Because of stuck hardware I pulled it with the fuel line (fuel filter was gone, again looks like rodents), to do that the distributor cap and plug wires needed to be removed. Finally the carburetor was removed, everything on it moves freely and the number checks out, factory original!