Maybe in a few years I'll look back at this and reflect.
The day started off with putting the crank seal in the timing cover, a section of exhaust pipe was the perfect fit to drive it in, although the seal has a coating on it sealant was used. The timing cover and water pump were installed, after the bolts were all installed the balancer was put on loosely to insure the covered was properly centered on the crank. An oversize nut was used to make up for the lack of the alternator bracket and spacer. With the cover properly positioned the bolts were all tightened.
While I finished up cleaning the gasket surfaces on the oil pan my friend worked on fitting the oil filter adapter, we had used the Barracuda (has an engine still in the car) to determine the best angle for it. While tightening the bolt we heard a pop, a pretty good pop so we pulled the bolt out and saw it had broke in two places. In looking at another bolt we had we noticed a difference in both the thickness and the placement of the holes, big difference in the strength.
Happy with the oil filter adapter we moved on to the oil pan, no real surprise here. Additional sealant was applied in some key area at the corners. With time up we finished the day with putting the dowels in for the heads. One of the Cometic head gaskets was test fitted out of curiosity, these have a 3.670 bore that is a perfect match for the 0.030 over, much better than the one size fits all gaskets.