I ended up sending the original booster along with a second out for rebuilding, between the two they were able to make one nice one. I think at this point I was eager to just get going.
December 5, 2010
Well over the last several weeks I have been working on the car just in small amounts.
Like many things on this car the brake booster fought me. Two of the bolts were difficult to even get to but with a box wrench I was able to get them out (wrenching all the way), the two that were accessible broke (not a problem the booster will probably be replaced). The pedal assembly is coated in rust but should clean up just fine, if not I have another.
I removed the rear defroster and I was surprised when I saw it to have no rust at all, the unit looked almost new. With the unit out I was able to remove the package shelf, I had hopes that there would be good white paint there to be sampled, nope only a drip smaller than a dime.
The only thing I had a trouble with in removing the beltline trim was understanding which clip was used, seemed to be totally random. With the amount of rust that there was I only have to deal with a few clips on each side. Removing the window trim was quite easy again with the rust not much was holding it in.
I finally received my new reproduction exempt plates and they look great except they put registration wells which exempt plates in California didn't have.