Older


Index


Newer


Reflections

Maybe in a few years I'll look back at this and reflect.


Title

September 29, 2021

Split the engine and transmission, use my 10mm wrench to keep the converter in place. With the converter secured I took the transmission to a friend's shop to see if he could get the broken starter bolt out. After multiple attempts to weld a nut onto the stud we finally got one to hold. Even then it took a half hour of back-n-forth with a wrench working it out. In the end I got it. With the bolt out I cleaned it up with a tap and although not perfect the bolt hold just fine.

With that done the transmission was dropped off at the transmission shop to have the input selector seal replaced.

Next up was to clean the engine so it can be painted. First up was Simple Green and a scrub brush. After a couple rounds of that it was rinsed off and dried with an air hose. I then used brake clean and blasted the engine down with about three cans and I felt like it was clean enough to paint.

One thing I still wanted to do before paint was remove to other water nipple as it was in bad shape and it shouldn't be painted. Like the other one I put a tapered rod in so it wouldn't collapse when I put the vice grips on it. Right before hitting it with the torch I removed the rag that was in the distributor opening then put the torch on the nipple… BOOM!!! A very loud boom went off, stupid me didn't thing about vapors that may have still been in the block.

The valley pan was ballooned up against the intake and one of the valve cover gaskets was blown out.

Uff-da


Older


Index


Newer


Older


Index


Newer