Steering Column

September 19, 2015

After weeks of cleaning and refinishing I can now put the column together.

The first obstacle I needed to overcome were locating the rivets needed to put the shift indicator back on, initially I didn’t want to take it apart till I figured it out but in the end it didn’t matter as it had to come apart. I did end up finding rivets at McMaster Carr that were pretty much correct other than needing to be trimmed a little shorter.

With the column apart the pieces were cleaned and refinished. The primary housing was soaked in vinegar for a few weeks to try and get the rust out of the inside; once it was cleaned it was primed and painted inside and out.

The mounting brackets were sent out for powder coating and cleanup continued on the other parts. The shift tube has a grommet on the ear that the shift rod connect to that needed to stay as it was unique and no substitute could be had.

The assembly process was pretty much straight forward as I had already run through it was another column that I was mixing parts from. The only real issue was I had a replacement shift lever as the one off this car was rusted, needless to say the internal end was different and wouldn’t lock in place with the different gear placements. One of the originals was cleaned up and used, the only issue with it is it will need the finish cap on the end that is missing. The cap from the other one can be used if I can remove it.

More Pictures

◄PreviousIndexNext►

Highslide JS

Highslide JS

Highslide JS

Highslide JS

Highslide JS

   

◄PreviousIndexNext►