No backing up now

February 13, 2011

To start off I’d like to note that I received a reply from the CHP about my project and it looks like I will get my agreement upon completion of the restoration. Rumors have been that they don’t hand out these agreements anymore and haven’t in over five years.

On to the car, I pulled the replacement rear window section into the garage and mapped out the cuts as I had them on the car and then adding the extra as I planned. If all goes well it will come out in one piece inside and out all intact. I added some extra in the area where the antenna mounts to work in as reinforcement. Many of the cuts were in areas that were easy to replicate utilizing bodylines others I used the removed pieces from the car along with templates.

With everything mapped out I started cutting, by the end of the day I made it through everything but the trunk drain channel where I needed the Sawzall that I needed to get back from my Brother.

While at it I removed all the old window sealant where some more rust repair will be needed, this is an area on the car that was completely gone.

More Pictures

February 15, 2011

After making the last two cuts I pulled the pieces apart and hosed it off. Before I tried to see what will be needed to fit the section in I climbed into the trunk to tie the trunk hinges down out of the way, the passenger side one went down as before with no problems but on the driver side it was a different story. Now that the panel holding the top of the hinge towers was removed, I noticed the entire tower move as I tried to push the hinge down. Looking at it I first thought the wheel well was rusted but it turns out the base of the tower was so I will need to address that.

Aside from the hinge issue I felt I could see what was needed to get the section in, not sure yet but I may need to separate some of the parts and then reassemble them in the car.

More Pictures

◄PreviousIndexNext►

Highslide JS

Highslide JS

Highslide JS

Highslide JS

Highslide JS

   

◄PreviousIndexNext►