Rust Be Gone

February 5, 2011

I finally got a new compressor (and some new tools) and after a day setting it up I was back in action.

With the trunk lid removed I climbed up and started cutting away along the roof, still not sure where the final cut will be I just had to clear the rust damaged metal. The driver side c-pillar was in the worse shape, I chose to make the cut a couple inches into the panel. The panel between the window and the trunk opening took a little work, had to cut around the hinge towers and a few cuts down the right side edge of the window.

At the end of the day I was at a point I needed to clean up and assess the areas that had been opened up to see what hidden surprises I might have. I already knew that was a large amount of metal bits if you can call it that more like rust barnacles.

With the cleanup done I was able to get a good look in the area above and forward of the wheelhouse and there is some rust holes that will need to be addressed, will probably need to come in from the wheel side.

In working on this I would often take a look at the replacement section to see what was missing as a result of rust. One thing I noticed after I had already cut some sections out was that even the replacement had rust issues. If I had noticed this before cutting I might have looked at that area differently. Either way I can use the part that was removed to repair the section going in.

There is still some cutting I need to do along with some grinding and when that is done I plan on getting the car and the replacement section to the soda blaster.

More Pictures

◄PreviousIndexNext►

Highslide JS

Highslide JS

Highslide JS

Highslide JS

Highslide JS

   

◄PreviousIndexNext►